Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Number 11: Liebster Award Post


Liebster awards are a fun way to meet new people and find new blogs.  Here's how it works: 

1. Brag about the person who nominated you. 
2. Answer the 11 questions asked. 
3. List 11 random facts about yourself. 
4. Nominate up to 11 other blogs that have less than 200 followers. 
5. Post 11 questions for your nominees to answer. 

I was nominated by Courtney Rose at Business Suits & Riding Boots.  Her and I met because we are paired as part of the cara box exchange at Wifessionals.  It has been fun getting to know Courtney in large part because our lives are vastly different!  She lives a busy life close to New York City while I live out in the country in a small town nobody knows exists!  (Don't worry, civilization is 13 miles away.)  Anyways, Courtney's blog is always a nice breath of fresh air!  Go check her out! 



Now for the questions: 

1. How would you describe your blog using 5 words or less? 

Funny
Vulnerable
Flawed
Real
Storytelling

2. What is your favorite blogging topic? 

My journey of becoming a parent to Marie who has down syndrome.  

I wouldn't say this is a "favorite" subject because so far it's a hard journey.  However it is what much of my posts revolve around.  

3. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? 

Hmmmm....

I really don't know since living somewhere is so much different than visiting!  

I want to move someplace where it will only rarely reach above 100 and never snow.  And that somewhere must have fresh water close by like a lake or the ocean.  Where is this place I dream of?! 

4. Where do you see yourself in 3 years? 

Honestly I think my life will be pretty similar to what it is now.  I see myself still living out here in the woods although we hope to have purchased a home by then.  I see myself with another kid on the hip, the process of fostering/adopting started and perhaps pregnant with our last kid together.  I see myself - well, I hope - that I'm still homeschooling Marie although the rest of the kids will be in public school. We will still be snail-scooting our way out of massive debt...and we will still have date night every week! 

Oh yeah, I see myself happily married to the man of dreams. 

5. What is your favorite thing to cook? 

Pork chops. I googled it earlier this year and learned  the perfect way to cook them! 

1. Create a brine by boiling some salt and sugar in water.  Let cool. 
2. Pork chops sit in cooled water for 3-4 hours. 
3. After sitting in brine, allow meat to warm up to room temp.
4. Rub salt and pepper on both sides.  Let sit for about 20 minutes. 
5. Preheat oven to 450. 
6. Heat some olive oil and cook meat for 3-4 minutes on each side over medium high heat.  Once you lay them down don't move them. You can even hold them with tongs and get the fat on the edges all deliciously crispy. 
7. Place entire pan in oven for 7 minutes. (Don't forget to set the oven mitt out so you don't forget the pan will be hot when you take it out of the oven.)
8. Place meat in foil and wrap it up and let sit for just a few minutes. 
9. Serve with favorite sides.

It's a bit laborious but I LOVE cooking pork chops this way.  It works best with bone in, thick cuts.

6. If you could date one celebrity who would it be? 

Kirk Cameron. lol 

He's an out-of-the-closet Christian celebrity and I'm incredibly curious about him and his family and how he was raised.  I recently found out his sister was DJ on Full House and she is on this season of Dancing with the Stars! 

7. If you could be any animal which would you be and why? 

I don't want to be an animal. lol Whatever animal I think of it just sounds terrible!  Although...being a turtle might be interesting. Naw.  They are soooo sloooowwww...

8. What is your favorite blog you can't go without reading? 


She is a great writer and photographer.  She is not afraid of hitting hard topics and standing up for what she believes.  She is also a huge encouragement to other bloggers - like me! 

9. If you won a million dollars what is the first thing you would buy?

Pay off debt.  Every. Single. Penny.  Then go on a fabulous vacation. 

10. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? 

Half baked by Ben and Jerry's baby! 

11. What is one item in your closet that you can't life without? 

Well shoes, duh! lol I love me some cute and wonderful pairs of shoes. 


11 Random Facts

1. I don't mind the interesting smells my own body makes but I can't stand it when other people smell like anything less than pretty.  This includes my kids and Mr. Sexy. 

2. I shower daily but I only shampoo when my hair starts to look and feel really greasy. 

3. I watch The Vampire Diaries.  And it's embarrassing. 

4. I used to watch Gossip Girl.  That is even more embarrassing. 

5. If I didn't meet Mr. Sexy and gotten married I would have continued in school to become a teacher because it's the only job I can think of where I can be a single mom and provide a decent life for the kid.  

6. Family night usually involves wine and/or beer.

7. I can be a bit obsessive (like with blogging) and Mr. Sexy says I am borderline OCD sometimes.  Rude right?! 

8. I didn't cry on my wedding day like I dreamed that I would.  

9. Coloring is stressful because there are way too many color choices and I only want to make the perfect choices.  So I just don't do it. 

10. Blogging/writing/sharing my life is my passion.  Even on the bad days. 

11. I enjoy sorting laundry, hate having to keep up on loads going through the washer and dryer, enjoy the folding to perfection but loathe putting the clothes away.  

Bonus: I secretly expect perfection from people.  I'm working on this flaw.  Admitting is the first step right?




Questions for my nominees.  There are 11 big ones. 

1. What was the content of the worst blog you have ever read?  No names or links please.  This should be fun! 
2. Do you sleep with your socks on or off?  Or both? (It's possible.)
3. Do you ALWAYS wash your hands EVERY time you go to the bathroom?  (I won't judge.)
4. What has been your biggest struggle in the blogging world so far? 
5. What are your top 3 favorite TV shows? 
6. How do you feel now that print books seem to by dying away and technology such as the kindle is taking over? 
7. What are your views on religion/faith? 
8. Do you dream in color or black and white?  (I'm pretty sure this is a thing.)
9. How many hours a day do you spend blogging (including reading blogs ect)?  Hours per week? 
10. Do you sometimes talk about television characters like they are real people?
11. What do you love most about your significant other? 

I want to answer these questions myself now. lol Maybe later. 


These lucky-ducks are my nominees:

(It's kind of hard to figure out how many followers people have so some of these might have more than 200 followers which is "technically" breaking the rules.  I won't tell if you won't.)


Now go give each other some clicky lovin! 

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I love your honesty. You have a really charming blog. I am definitely going to return to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice getting to know you. I really appreciated you stopping by yesterday from RoryBore's place. She's such a sweetheart! I home schooled all three of our children, so I know how involving that job is. I liked teaching our kids, but I don't think I could teach 25 or 30 other kids all at once. Public schools are just not what they use to be when I was little. Oh well...I am now following you, and feel free to pop in anytime! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started homeschooling Marie because I got fed up with her teachers who wouldn't have any of my input and continually told me I was wrong about things.

      Delete
  3. LOVE this post!! I have a million and one things to say about this post but I will spare you the novel!! haha! I will just say that as different as our lifestyles are, we are much similar than I thought! I'm going to have to email you so we can laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww. Shucks - thanks so much! You're too kind. If we were closer we could clink a couple of beers together to cheers, and congratulate you on the award. I'm totally down with the Half Baked too. :)
    You are so refreshingly honest, and to me, that's a kind of purity that is rare in a world full of mask wearers.
    And you know, Chuck Bass..... he's my total shame crush. I had to stop watching it. LOL
    But Kirk Cameron I get -- I remember watching this video of him just walking up to some gang bangers and witnessing. It was just - wow. Have you ever seen Fireproof? Amazing movie.

    Have a Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment!

      I didn't understand the big deal about Chuck Bass. Then I continued to watch and sadly, I too fell prey to his squinty eyes and cool demeanor. It was a good thing that show ended. lol

      I have seen Fireproof a few times. On the surface it feels like a cheesy Christian movie but when you let yourself dive into the story emotional it's quite deep. I had never heard of the Love Dare before watching it. I thought it was awesome.

      Delete

I love knowing who is reading!