Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Z is for Zig-Zag: My Journey Through Parenthood

Z is for Zig-Zag.

There is no cookie cutter model for parenting.  This annoys me.  I wish I could read one book, just one, and that one book would have all the answers for everybody.  This just wouldn't work.  God made everybody so annoyingly unique so that as we all connect to each other and start growing families, each family becomes annoyingly unique.  Okay, annoying may not be the right word because it's actually pretty amazing to think about.  Yet, annoying just might fit...sometimes?

Easter, 2014

Therefore, for our family, it's important that we be extremely flexible.  Roll with the punches.  Zig-Zag when we need to.  I have 3 kids and they are all so different.  The oldest has down syndrome and is home-schooled.  The middle (and oldest too) goes to public school in the town next door to ours.  The youngest is just turning into a toddler.  Each one has their own sets of needs and desires.  Each one has a beating heart that is yearning for love and affection from Mr. Sexy and I.

So when Michael has a school recital I have to relax a bit on the homeschool front.  When Denai isn't feeling well I have to drop everything and run to the doctor.  When Marie is having a bad day I have to allow her and I time and space to move past whatever happened.

This concept is difficult for me.  I like to have an orderly schedule, although you might not guess this if you could see how good not good I am at keeping my room clean.  Even a poop schedule is important to me.  However, this year it seems that every day, every week, every month, shit just happens.  We haven't had very many "normal" days.  Interestingly, Michael tends to be at his dad's house when "shit just happens."  I like to think that God is sparing his tender heart since he is already dealing with two sets of parents and two sets of sisters.

Oh well.  It's all okay.  I'm really learning to let go and accept the chaos that is my life.  Beer and rum help with that, I've got to be honest there!

This is the A-Z blogging challenge so go ahead and read the introduction and see a list of all my A-Z posts.

6 comments:

  1. This is so true. I love your Easter picture. Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to admit that I stink at zig-zagging. I am a schedule person, and I struggle when my schedule is messed with. I'm learning to be more flexible.

    Your family is beautiful. I admire you for your ability to be flexible and also for your willingness to be open and honest about your life. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too kind saying "unique". I like to think of it as every family has their own version of crazy!! We are all crazy (some more than others), we all have chaos and you're right, shit happens. I think you are doing a wonderful job balancing it all - just look at those 3 amazing kids! And like you said, there is always beer and rum! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this challenge. :) seems like lots of fun! Your picture is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. I think all parents feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. first, the picture is gorgeous!! And you got all that glorious sun - a little jealous. :)

    I don't zig and zag so well since having kids. I could before, but it seems like I operate better with some kind of game plan. I can be a bit loose with that plan, but not too much -- I don't like many surprises on the fly. I think it's okay on some level, because most kids do better with routine and knowing they are safe and cared for. But they are also usually the source of the all the surprises too. tricky little rascals. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing who is reading!