Thursday, March 27, 2014

My Journey Through Parenthood

Parenting is a hard job and a personal one.  As a parent I make choices minute by minute and the world gets to see the effect on my kids.  It's an ideal situation. Not.  So I'm not here to lay out a bunch of tips and how-to's on parenthood.

I'm simply excited to be writing about my experiences as a parent, co-parent and step-parent.

If you're new to my blog, let me explain.


I'm a parent.  Denai was born in April, 2013 and her dad is Mr. Sexy.  She is going to be a one-year old very soon!


April 3, 2013


I'm a co-parent.  Michael was born in January, 2008.  I had just turned 20 and at the time his dad was my boyfriend.  That boyfriend is now an ex-boyfriend who ended up married to his high school sweetheart.  No love lost there on my part.  We were never a good match.

January 26, 2008

I'm a step-parent.  Marie was born in November, 2001.  I was about 14 years old.  Mr. Sexy was in his early 20's and in a bad marriage which ended in divorce.  Enter me.  I became Marie's step-parent officially, July 23, 2011.  Oh yeah.  She also has a disability called down syndrome.  I'm also  homeschooling her for the first time this semester.

July 23, 2011

I have a lot to say about being a parent and I'm ALWAYS learning how to do it better.  Below is a list of my favorite books about parenting which have largely shaped how Mr. Sexy and I try to parent our kids.

Shepherding a Child's Heart was a gift for me at Michael's one year birthday party.  Best. Gift. Ever.  I was a single mom with no prospects and absolutely clueless on how to parent.  This book taught me groundwork for the kind of parent I wanted to be.  And just like the title says, it's about the heart.  

The 5 Love Languages crosses over into all relationships for me and has helped me understand my husband and my kids better.

Parenting with Love and Logic was recommended to us while I was in counseling regarding my issues with step-parenthood to a special needs child.  Mr. Sexy read this with me and it opened our eyes to a way of parenthood that we hadn't known before.  We learned that we can love our children and still allow consequences to happen.  We immediately began utilizing what we learned and the outcome was phenomenal.  In some cases, I felt like my learned techniques were magical.  

I hope you will join me as I discuss my journey through Parenthood.  Every day is a different topic and a link will be added to this page to keep all posts together.  Feel free to email me or write a question with any of your own personal experiences, thoughts or questions!

This is going to be fun!

April is all about: Parenthood

Afraid
Blastoff
Consequences
Disciplined Date Night
Exhausting
Feelings
Guilt
Heart
Insecurities
Judgements
Kindergarten
Letting go in Love
Mommy, Mrs. Sexy then Me
Nails on the Cross
Other Parents
Poop
Quitting
Rewarding
Step-Parenting Special Needs
Timothy
Untruths
Victory!
Where's My Water
X-Rays
Yelling and Screaming
Zig-Zag

*Topics subject to change when I sit down to actually write each post.

I am participating in the 2014 A-Z Challenge!

4 comments:

  1. I love both the Five Love Languages and Parenting with Love and Logic. I'll have to check out the other one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Love Languages is awesome! what an eye opener that one was.
    And I really enjoyed our study this year via Loving your Kids On Purpose with Danny and Sheri Silk. the videos are great. He delivers with humour and just a lot of plain ole common sense I felt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Returning the visit from a to Z. Parenting is so far removed from my life but it seems like you have it under control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im still unmarried. I seem to learn a lot through your writing, preparing myself. ! :)

    Beautiful :)

    http://livelaughlovewithsharu.wordpress.com/

    Sharu :) x

    Live Laugh Love

    ReplyDelete

I love knowing who is reading!